Saturday, June 7, 2008

Fun with reading... (sigh!)

Carolyn and friends playing horseshoes at the park

Our family attended a ward barbecue and horseshoes tournament recently at a nearby park. It was a really pleasant evening, and a well-deserved opportunity to relax and have some fun after a long, hard day of working at the new home under construction as well as the rental we are selling.

After we all ate dinner, Jeremiah played horseshoes and the kids played on the playground. I contentedly watched them all and enjoyed the momentary serenity.

Carolyn and another little kindergartener who lives around the corner from us found some graffiti on the playground equipment. It said a certain naughty word. She asked me what it said, and I told her something like, "Oh, it's just a name." She asked what the name was, but I told her not to worry about it.

She is SO curious! She would not let up, so finally I relented and confessed to her that it was a "bad word". Of course, this piqued her interest even more, and she wanted to know exactly what it said. I told her she did not need to know bad words and not to worry about it.

Well dang it all, she can read now! I had forgotten that little detail....

She sounded out the part that was written clearly, and she triumphantly shouted, "Bit! It says bit!"

I agreed that it did indeed say bit, and she proceeded to run around the playground proudly repeating "bit" while searching the equipment for more exciting new words to read.

I can only imagine the conversations we will be having due to this newfound ability. :-/

3 comments:

Jenny said...

LOL. It's not funny and it is funny at the same time. How frustrating that even our playgrounds have junk that really shouldn't be around our children.

Krista said...

I agree with Jenny about it being frustrating that people can't leave playgrounds alone, or rather EVERYTHING alone. That is funny that Carolyn really wanted to figure it out. I can see Kambria being like that. She already has a strong personality!

Katy said...

Speaking from experience, I feel I should warn you: You're in for it, Krista. :-)