
Isaiah recently decided on his own that he wanted to try sitting on the potty. Since he is only 21 months old, I had not planned to even introduce the idea for at least several more months. It seems like everyone I know who has potty-trained boys has had a difficult time with it, and, frankly, I have not been anxious to experience it for myself.
Kylie was about this age when she first expressed an interest, and she went on to pretty much train herself within a matter of weeks. But she was advanced (and still is) in many areas, and I don't think I will get that lucky again.
The first time Isaiah wanted to try it out, I was more than happy to let him, and I even gave him a Jelly Belly as a reward. After that, he would see the jar of Jelly Bellies and ask for one, but I made the impromptu decision that those would be reserved for potty treats.
Several times a day he would look toward the jar of Jelly Bellies, then (as the light bulb went on above his head) announce to me, "Potty!" as he turned and raced down the hall toward the bathroom. I wondered if he was actually learning anything or if it was more of a trained response like Pavlov's dogs - in this case, sitting on the toilet = Jelly Belly.
So whether this is the start of real potty-training or just a fluke, he HAS legitimately "utilized" the toilet three times now. He even tells me ahead of time sometimes. Who knows if this will lead to anything, but for now we are very happy with the way it's going.

4 comments:
wish I could be so lucky! He sure is cute!
that is soo darn cute!! my gabe is 27 months and has no interest in the toilet...he just likes to flush it! but my oldest (kyle) he trained at 24 months and it was a piece of cake! good luck with everything...your kids are just darling!
Isaiah is such a smiley little guy. I can't wait until Kambria wants to try it out.
I can't wait until his first job interview when his potential employer googles his name and finds this post with accompanying photos!
Post a Comment