Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Zucchini is my friend.


Our garden is in full swing. We have one bell pepper plant that has produced a handful of little peppers so far, plus two tomato plants that are starting to offer up a bounty. The strawberries got started too late, and it has been way too hot for me to have much hope of seeing any actual berries, though at least one of the two plants has managed to stay alive.

But the big success is the zucchini! We've got tons! I love growing zukes because you don't have to do anything; they actually grow themselves. It has taken VERY little effort on my part. (They are on a drip which is tied into the automatic sprinkler system.) I maybe pull a weed here or there or give them a little extra to drink on really hot days. That's it.

The best thing about growing something easy like zucchini is that they make me feel like I have a green thumb (when, in fact, I do not), and I get to bask in the sweet success of reaping my very own harvest!

We've eaten our zucchini several ways, but I need more ideas! If you have some good recipes, please share! And if you'd like some zucchini, I think I can spare a few.... :-)

5 comments:

Krista said...

That's fun, Katy! Someday I might be brave enough to try planting and harvesting a garden. I do think it would be fun!

KelliAnn Christensen said...

Ooohhh. I love zucchini. I didn't realize it was so easy to grow! Did you have to fertilize it yourself with a q-tip? I know Steve had to, but maybe there are plenty of bees up north.

Katy said...

Hahaha - no! I did nothing! If I'd had to fertilize it by hand I am sure I would not have any zucchini! That's hilarious that Steve had to do that. I've never heard of it! :-)

Kat said...

I love zucchini! Some ways that se fix them are that we pepper some flour, cover the zucchini in it, and then fry it in a little butter to crisp them up. Another way is to sautee them a little bit. And then melt some swiss or mozarella cheese over the slices before you serve it.

Katy said...

Mmmm, I love the idea of flouring them and frying them up in butter! I think we'll have that with our dinner tonight.... if I can wait until then. Yum! Thanks, Kat!