Wednesday, March 10, 2010

San Diego trip

Jeremiah and I were able to go away on his birthday for an extended weekend getaway to San Diego. I have a lot of family in the area, so we go there frequently for various family functions and events on my side, but this trip was actually in conjunction with Jeremiah's cousin's wedding.

We spent a fun day in Disney's California Adventure! Our very first date ever was at Lagoon, and we spent a week in Florida at Disney World for our first anniversary, so being there together - just the two of us - was reminiscent of the early days of our courtship and marriage. We go to theme parks fairly often, but I believe the last time we went without kids was to Universal Studios when I was pregnant with Carolyn over eight years ago. Which is about right, I guess, because about nine times out of ten I would prefer to have our kids with us.

The first time we rode on California Screamin', I closed my eyes and gripped the safety bar. Jeremiah took me on again with the challenge to keep my eyes open and hands up for the entire ride. I did it, and it was a blast!

Lightning McQueen and Mater are some of Isaiah's faves. I thought he might appreciate this picture - and I was right!

The weather was perfect! By mid-day it was warm enough that we thought a water ride would be refreshing, so we hit the rapids and got a little wet.

For lunch, we went out the private exit/entrance to the Grand Californian Hotel and enjoyed lunch at an outdoor dining area next to the pool area.

The Tower of Terror is always fun! The empty seat beside me was in honor of Carolyn. She was there in spirit. :-)

It was so fun to have a Disney date with my husband!

We hit the beach for a little while. Still too early in the year for optimal beach weather, but it was a lovely day! Jeremiah went out in the water for a while while I lounged on the beach with a book.

We walked around and gathered some shells for our children.

We love the ocean!

We stopped in for a visit with my Grandpa and went out for burgers together at a great joint in his neighborhood! It was nice chatting with him and hearing what he is up to with his duties as a member of the San Diego County Grand Jury.

I love the San Diego Temple! When I was in 7th grade my dad took my sister and I and some of our friends on a road trip to San Diego for the temple open house. It was so much fun! Since then, I have been back many times and enjoy it every time. Fun for us that Jeremiah's cousin, Mike, and his new wife, Ashley, chose this temple for their wedding! It was a wonderful ceremony, officiated by the temple president. Ashley looked stunningly gorgeous!

My beautiful grandma was so kind to provide us with a delicious feast! We had a great time visiting and eating, and we only wish we'd been able to spend more time with my grandparents! We didn't even get to play a game this time.

Grandpa looked so happy and healthy - especially considering he was at death's door just a few months ago. It was very reassuring to see him looking and acting so great!

We were able to have dinner with my cousin, Scotty, and his awesome wife, Katie. It was so much fun to see them!

I love my cousin and don't get to see him nearly enough. But I'm glad for chances like this to squeeze in a quick visit.

We flew home the next morning. (We were upgraded to first class since Jeremiah is a medallion member from all his business travel - very cool.) It was so nice to wake up in our nice hotel room in SoCal and be home with our children a few hours later!

My sister, Rebecca, had taken fabulous care of my children and home. We appreciate her for making all this possible!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Looks like yet another awesome trip for you guys!

Krista said...

What a fun trip! I am in need of one of those with Joe. I was wondering who had your kids while you were gone. That was nice of Rebecca!

Jackie said...

great pictures! I love Cali, it's so fun to see all of the homosexuals.

sabrina said...

that is so neat you took the time away for yourselves! happy birthday jeremiah!