Yesterday, we gained another pet (with two bonus pets). My sister told me about a lady in her ward who was trying to find a new home for their pet turtle. I knew my kids (Carolyn in particular) would LOVE to take it, but I wasn't sure Jeremiah would.
He was on a business trip, so I sent him a text message asking, "Do we want a turtle?" His quick reply? "Sure." (Jeremiah told me later that he and the kids had actually been looking at a turtle at the pet store just last week when they were there buying lunch for Houdini.)
I was a bit hesitant to actually do it, but there was really no reason why we shouldn't take it. When I started feeling nervous that the turtle would be claimed by someone else if I didn't hurry and claim it, I knew what I had to do. :-)
When Carolyn went to school that morning she was so giddy at the possibility of getting the turtle, and as she got out of the car I heard her excitedly muttering to herself, "I might be getting a turtle! I might be getting a turtle!! I might be getting a turtle!!!" as she ran toward the school.
After school she raced to the car, hopped in, and asked if we were able to be the new family for the turtle. I told her to buckle her seat belt because that was where we were heading!
When we were picking it up we were also given two bonus pets - goldfish. They were the last two of a dozen feeder fish the turtle was given a while back. I guess she got full after 10, and they've lived together in peace for a while now. (Hopefully the turtle won't change her mind... They are big enough now that she probably won't attempt eating them. She likes fish half their size.)
All evening Carolyn kept making excuses and offering vague explanations of why she needed to go upstairs to her bedroom again and again. I knew every time she was looking at the turtle. As she was going to bed she explained that she has often had dreams of having a cool pet such as this, but then she'd wake up and find it was all just a dream. This time when she kept running back to check, the turtle was still there every time!



This is one happy girl!

8 comments:
Fun! Kambria and I will have to come and see your turtle sometime.
That is so sweet! And her room is darling too.
so... what's his name?
Wow, I was that long-winded and STILL left out her name....
The name WAS Jasper (the original owner's had been told she was male - information made disputable when "he" laid eggs. Still, that's what she was called for the thirteen years she spent with them.
My girls decided on Sally. The conversation went pretty much like this, as we drove home after picking her up:
Carolyn: What should we call her?
Kylie: I like Sally.
Carolyn: Okay.
:-)
Those are such cute pictures! She looks so excited for her turtle. :) Congratulations on Sally.
WoW! All I have to do is take off the glasses (in my mind's eye) and there is the Katy who played with my children in Oak Harbor, Wash. (actually...she is a tad bit older).
Beautiful family!
vicki farrell
Thanks, Vicki! Yes, Carolyn is definitely my little mini-me! It's fun seeing how much my daughter looks just like old pictures of me. :-)
I love this post. What a reminder of a great childhood with pets.
Post a Comment