Friday, May 30, 2008

Breakthrough!

I was ready to throw in the towel on Kylie's swimming lessons. She cried huge alligator tears at the very mention of them and begged me not to make her go. I tried to be very understanding of her, validating her feelings and telling her how wonderful it was that she was being so brave to try something that scared her so much. I reminded her that Carolyn was afraid at first, too, and Kylie is well aware at how much Carolyn loves to swim now.

Nothing I could say would console her. I resorted to shameless bribery. I offered her all sorts of goods. There is a swimming suit at Target she has had her eye on for months! However, she already has about four suits, so I have resisted spending money on yet another when she doesn't need it. Still, I told her she could earn that suit by continuing her lessons. I think she was oh-so-briefly tempted by this offer, but nothing could persuade her to willingly continue her lessons.

I had to wrestle her into her suit today and strap her into her car seat as she cried buckets. By the end of the ~7 minute drive I had come up with a solution that sort of worked. I was going to ask Debbie, the teacher, if Carolyn could take Kylie's spot in the class (even though Carolyn passed Level 1 long ago). That way at least I would be getting something for my money (more pool time - which equals fun - for Carolyn).

When we got there I told Kylie I would see about letting Carolyn take her place. Debbie understood my position, but she encouraged me to keep Kylie in the class. I told Debbie if she was up for it, I could give it one more day.

As a bonus, one child missed class today, so Carolyn was invited to join them in the pool as the eighth student. Pure fun for Carolyn, and certainly a source of comfort for Kylie.

She cried a bit today, but overall we had a breakthrough! She (willingly!) did everything, and she actually relaxed and seemed to enjoy herself.

At the end she asked if she could go get the new swimming suit from Target, so that's what we did on the way home! She is planning to wear it to class next week. (Yes, that's right - she plans to attend class next week!)

Wahooo!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

yay Kylie! Tell her I think she did a great job and I am so impressed with her for sticking to it!

Michelle said...

Yippee! Good job to her!